Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Thanks Mrs. Tanqueray for Giving Me an Edge


I really didn’t realize when I started my Sky Scarf 2013 what kind of knit-a-long project I was diving into. I thought, 5 minutes a day knitting the color of the sky, how bad could it be?  Well … the project sat out in front of my eyes everyday staring me down.  If it could talk, it would be saying this to me, “Are you seriously going to work on that project when you should be doing the past week’s sky? Oh … ok, you took notes but still I think I am more important than that project that you’re holding right now.”


How I kept up to date on my Sky Scarf

And I was really excited to work on the scarf because in 2012 when we moved here during the springtime, it was sunny and at the start of the summer there were these fantastic thunderstorms.  Then 2013 started and it was like Mother Nature knew that I needed these sky days and they all went out the window.  I had a friend made the comment about March being gray.  The nice thing about the sky scarf was that you needed to use 2 colors a day.  So yes, March had a gray strand in it but was the other color to be used?  If the sun came out, I used blue.  If it didn’t, then white was used with the gray. 

Re-reading this post, it reads like I’m complaining.  But I’m not!  For me, I always pay attention to the weather while living here.  But what I realize is that I actually pay attention to the temperature of the day rather that what is actually seen outside my window.  I actually enjoy the weather here, in Basel. Remember, I lived almost 8 years in Arnhem, The Netherlands.  Anything was going to be a step in the right direction after living there and seeing nothing but gray skies in the winter.  Side note: The Dutch say the same thing.  I think this is why they are so well traveled.

So my next comment might be viewed as negative, but bare with me as it ends in a positive. I didn’t like the carrying of the strands up the side of the scarf.  I didn’t really pay attention to this until Mrs. Tanqueray saw it and called it out; and I liked that she pointed it out because I took this as a challenge to improve my edge. But it was more than that. 

When I thought about how much the Sky Scarf kit was to knit (about $40) I thought this is too much money to have such an edge.  So even if I did walk away from the project I told Olive I didn’t know what project to use these colors.  Then Olive told me how she was doing her edges. Olive cut the strands and therefore as she has told me that she has to weave in the ends. I followed the directions, and Olive didn’t.... typical J


The Sky Scarf  edge before the crochet edge

So Mrs. Tanqueray had me thinking on and off throughout the year about how to cover these trailing strands. So I thought about different edges, like an I-cord.  But the thing about an I-cord is that it doesn’t hide the trailing strands; it lies on the edge like an attachment. So you would still see the trailing strands.  So I messed around with needles and yarn and then I went to Google.  I found a really nice book about crochet edges.  Though I like this book, Around the Corner Crochet Borders by Edie Eckman, and I even stuck it in my Amazon “shopping cart,” I decided to go with a simple crochet edged and it worked beautifully!  Naturally I picked the brightest color.


The new edge

Check out all that blue in the middle!
That was the summer and the reason why I like staying
in Europe in the summer months
But the best thing about this project, aside from Olive and I comparing our skies to each other, was that this project was started in 2013 and finished in 2013.  No carry over. Woo Hoo!


Upon completion
I was talking while Vermouth took the pic
I know, shocker!
Happy 2014!
The Martini Knitter

1 comment:

SwimmerGirl said...

I thought about doing this project, but the carrying the strands up the side or, god forbid, weaving in all those ends, made my head hurt just to think about it. May have to talk to you about this crochet-edge solution.

Happy New Year!