Monday, April 8, 2013

I am a Steeker


I know that I have been going on and on about my Adelaide Yoke Cardigan and y’all are probably thinking/saying: “Get on with it already!”

Well the waiting is over! I finished it and I even got to cut it open.  Which sounds easier said than done.  It’s truly a scary feeling until I started reading about how to do a “steek” in a sweater.



At first I thought I would just knit back and forth and then add a button band on at the end.  But I really don’t like knitting one row and turning my work and purling the next row.  I don’t mind the purl stitch when it’s in texture pattern.  Purling every other row will literally drive me to putting down my work down and walking away from it.  Purling just slows me down.  Which I have discovered, I am not alone in this thinking.  I have a whole rant on this and will share this with y’all at a later date.

I did read some place where Jared Flood teaches a technique of knitting in the reverse on the purl side; meaning, I would be still be able to knit but just through the back loop on the purl side if my memory serves me correctly.  (I went hunting for this information to provide here in this posting but, alas, I could not find it).  But in doing his method, I was worried that my tension would be off resulting in my “floats” being too tight.  So I kept hunting …

I read a lot about steeking and watched several YouTube videos.  I found Knit Picks’ tutorials to be one of the better ones.  I learned that one of the keys to steeking is in the yarn.  It should be 100% wool for the steeking to work, nothing plant base and no “superwash” – and y’all know how much I love “superwash” wool.  But for those that like “superwash” wool or want to use yarn that has plant base fibers in it, Knit Picks shows a great way to reinforce non-100% wool steek in the link I have provided.

Then an email from Craftsy came in to my inbox.  They have an online class called the “Top-Down Icelandic Sweater” by Ragga Eiriksdottir.  I watched the whole online class and knew instantly that her method of “steeking” could be directly applied to my “Adelaide” cardigan.

Side note: of course, after watching the online class, I just had to have this sweater and jumped online to order the yarn! I know … shocker!



I also learned that if you are terrified of performing a certain technique on your knitted garment, grab some yarn and knit a swatch.  Which is what I did. I had a sleeve from a sweater that I knitted too long.  I kept it extra piece and tried the steeking method out on my sleeve swatch first and … it worked!  I even cut my sample open and that is what really cinched the deal for me. 

And lastly, I can’t even begin tell you the amount of martinis that were consumed in the production of this sweater.  The research alone would drive anyone to drink!

Cheers!
The Martini Knitter

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous sweater, cuz! What artistry!

erin said...

Beautiful sweater!!!

I, also, am working on an Adelaide in the round with plans to steek. I have a question for you: I'm at the portion of the sweater where the sleeves and yoke have been joined and am about to start the short row shaping (just before the fair isle patterning). Where does the short row shaping take place? From the pattern, it seems that it's on the sleeves? That seems odd to me. Perhaps I'm reading the pattern wrong? Should it be on the front?

The Martini Knitter said...

Hey Erin, I just doubled checked the pattern and the actual sweater. My short rows are in the back, on the body, between the sleeves. I hope this helps.