Monday, February 25, 2013

My Fasnacht Mittens


Last week was Fasnacht here in Basel which is a 3 day event where, basically, the Swiss play “guggemusik” (consisting of piccolos and drums which pretty much sounds like American Revolutionary/Fourth of July kind of music), have parades, throw confetti and, oh of course, eat and drink beer all in order to drive way the winter spirits.  Click here for Wikipedia’s explanation/overview of Fasnacht.

So The Shaker, Vermouth and I got up at the un-godly hour of 2:45 am on Monday morning (Morgestraich), dressed and met friends* downtown by 3:15am in order to see the city lights go out, the lanterns become lit, and the music start playing.  (Gin, who never went to sleep in the first place, was already downtown with her friends).

I knew that it would be cold at 4:00 am for the “Morgestraich” and I had nothing to wear on my hands.  Ok, that is not really true, but being true to my personality, I needed a new pair of mittens!  Everyone else has a pair but me.  Ok, enough with the whining …


Side note:  one of our many family mottos is this: “We don’t do whine, we just drink wine.” I know, words to live by!

Nothing like an event like Fasnacht for me to get out another set of knitting needles and some yarn that I bought … oh, back last summer when Olive was visiting. I had the pattern already picked out:  Jared Flood’s Woodruff.    

I love them. They knitted up really fast even though my Ravelry project page said that they took 3 days for me to knit.  I would say that each mitten took about 3 to 4 hours to knit. The hand part fit very nicely around my hands and my fingers stayed toasty warm.  The cuff part was a little long which went up past my watch on my wrist but that just meant no draft was going up my arm either. 


This is outside/top part of my mitten


This is the inside.
I didn't add texting thumbs as I didn't want to take away
from the design

So did the beating off of the winter spirits work?  Sort of … we had 3 beautiful sunny days of Fasnacht and  … then on Friday the cold and snow came back. But it’s sunny today … so maybe it just takes a while to beat off those winter spirits.



Cheers!
The Martini Knitter

*Still working out a name for these guys - you know who you are and I know that you will be far more creative coming up with your own name than I ever could.

No comments: