Friday, February 15, 2013

Leopard Print Socks


You know those inside jokes between people and you try explaining it to others? This would be one of them, so here it goes …

Let me start by saying that The Shaker is a single child.  There is times that he just stares at Gin and Vermouth trying to understand “siblings and there ever changing dynamics.”  I am one of three.  I am the middle, as my sister-in-law likes to put it, “I am the Jan Brady of my lot.” (lol)  My brother is the oldest and my sister is the youngest.  My sister hasn’t been feeling well lately and one day a few weeks back, The Shaker and I “just popped” into the local yarn.  Some yarn literally caught his eye and he said, “You must buy this and makes socks for your sister and tell her that they are from me!”  So, if my sister is reading this, I can hear you, saying very loudly and drawn out, “Oh heck no!” (insert other word for heck – just trying to keep it clean).

I think this all started around 1999/2000 (or even further back), The Shaker started pointing out everything with brown leopard print and saying that we should get that for my sister as a joke. Now I have to say this, my sister never leaves the house in ratty sweats; she always leaves looking fashionable and accessorized.  Unlike me, where I could careless who sees me in my sweats at the local grocery store (noticed I omitted “ratty” when referring to myself)!  It’s a joke and now that leopard print is in fashion, my sister absolutely refuses to wear any leopard print at all, all because of The Shaker needles her all the time.  His reason is: “I never had a sister to needle/bug while growing up.”  I just roll my eyes and say, “Whatever…”

So I knitted up a pair of Leopard Print Socks to cheer her up.  They were super easy and super fast is all that I can say.  Also, I love love love the heel – it’s called a “next step diagonal” on the Sock Wizard software program; the wrap and turns used make them look like a pair of socks you would be from a store. I understand that the heel flap is suppose to more durable but I like the way the stitches travel on the sides of the heel in a diagonal way.




And here is my disclaimer to my sister:  I am only the knitter - not the instigator.  If they have brought a smile to your face then The Shaker has accomplished his task in making you smile.  He tells me that he won’t mention leopard print again as long as you wear the socks.


Cheers!
The Martini Knitter

No comments: