Friday, January 18, 2013

Meditations in a Scarf



One of the projects that are in plan view of my eyes daily is the “Sky Scarf” knit-a-long that Olive and The Twisted Knitters have talked me into doing. Ok, it didn’t take much convincing … It’s a simple project.  I only have to knit 2 rows a day - that’s 80 stitches - and they are all knit stitches, no purling! The only problem is keeping the project some place in view and free of tangles. 

Now if I was living in Holland still, there is no way I would even agree to do this project.  Even though Gin is known for saying, “gray is a wonderful accent color.” I don’t want to knit 183 of gray days (that works out to be 14,640 stitches of gray alone).  I tried very hard not to complain about the weather in Holland; to me it just wasn’t worth it. I mainly paid attention to the temperature while living there.  But since moving to Basel, the sun shines more … until I started this project. 

What makes this pattern simple is the “yarn descriptors” in the pattern that Lea Redmond has given to go with that day’s sky.  For instance, last Saturday’s sky, the sky had sun and clouds; so, I look at the pattern’s “descriptors” for this type of sky – “blue sky with clouds” - and I get to knit a light blue strand and a white strand of yarn for that day’s sky.  However, I did make one change to her yarn descriptors for “snow.”  Ms. Redmond has a “gray” strand and a “white” strand to denote snow; this is also denotes “cloudy” skies.  Now that I live in a country that is world-renown for it’s skiing, I want to denote when it snows - which it did on Sunday.  These large, like the size of a 2 CHF coin, and super fluffy almost like cotton balls, flakes were coming down on Sunday afternoon.


These are colors for my sky and
this is how I am keeping it organized


I have to say that I have been paying more attention to the sky and the clouds because of this scarf.  For instance, last week I went for lunch at Canadian Yoga Girl’s home and in her village she has a rather large hill near her home. On this hill there was a huge cloud just hanging very low on the top of it; and it was spilling spectacularly over the top in a light wispy mist into the village.

And furthermore, I have been more in tune with the description of weather (and skies) in my audio books lately. For instance this week I heard a description like this: “a gray tranquil sky.” And here’s one of my favorite descriptions that the Irish writer, Maeve Binchy who writes quite frequently: “a watery winter sun.” Which makes me ponder further, I think English writers include weather descriptions far more than American writers do.  But I leave this for my buddy back in Holland, Reader-Extraoridinaire, who I know has answer to this; and furthermore, should start her own blog on books and writings. Hint! Hint!

As I re-read what I have typed, I noticed that I have gone all “deep and philosophical” about the weather and skies above me!  How has a simple project turned into a meditation/reflection type of project about the weather and the skies? Ok, now I am starting to sound like Sally Melville who has a mediation section at the end of her chapters in her series of books, The Knitting Experience. So, yes, I do wish my scarf could show all of these wonderful descriptions and reflections, but I am resolved to keep this project simple and with a touch of snow added to it.


Look! Blue sky on the needle!

Cheers!
The Martini Knitter

No comments: