Friday, December 14, 2012

As I Call It: Knittin' and a Drinkin'


Since about the end of November, (around Thanksgiving time for my American friends), the “Weihnachtsmarkt” (Christmas market) has begun in Basel and it will remain open until Christmas Eve.  I have finally tried “chestnuts roasted on an open fire” and, boy, are they fantastic!  And … I have been meeting friends regularly for “gluhwein” (mulled wine) at the “Drehbar;” my friends here refer to it as the “carousal bar” as it does turn at slow pace round and round.  Hence, the reason for no blogging. I found some photos of the Drehbar on the Internet but for some reason I can’t post them; so click here and here to see the photos of this fun Christmas bar.

It is also that time of year where I stop knitting for myself and focus on Christmas knitting and sewing. My favorite Christmas ornament is this little guy - my snowman.  However, most of my friends and family have this little guy hanging on their tree already. 



So every year I search for a new ornament to make.  I found 3 this year that I really enjoyed knitting: a sock, a hat and a sweater.



I enjoyed knitting up these “Mini Stocking Ornaments” by Mara Jessup.  But I used Ann Budd’s Getting Started Knitting Socks as the reference for the heel flap, heel turn, and gusset. 


The hat was fun to knit and super quick.  I made the “Santa Hat Ornament" by Aime Yago but I wanted it pointier.  So on my next hat, I casted on 30 stitches, knit 1, purl 1 for one round and round two I, purl 1, and knit 1 and alternated this pattern for my desired brim length.  Then I switch to knitting every round and I placed a marker after every 9th stitch on the first round. On the second round, I knitted to the first marker and then did a k2tog (knit 2 stitches together); I did this as I came to the next 2 markers.  I did these 2 rounds all the way to the end and then just cut the yarn about 6 inches long, thread the yarn on to a darning needle and ran it though the last 3 stitches. 

And then I found the “Mini Sweater Ornament” by Emily 5446, which was equally fun to knit, as the socks and hat were to knit. 

I call this one "The Grinch's Sweater"

This is Santa's Sweater and I used craft wire to make
the hanger 
But what I enjoyed about knitting these 3 patterns were the choice in yarns.  I did go out and buy white yarn that was lace weight; one had small sequins in the yarn and the other was a kidsilk haze (fuzzy) yarn.  Then I knitted one of these yarns along with with the white, fingering weight yarn to give the edging some stability.


And lastly, I knitted this star by Cecile Renaud last year as a gift exchange ornament and then again this year for a family member who kept saying she just loved it.  But sadly, not one of these stars hangs on my Christmas tree. How crazy is that???

Cheers!
The Martini Knitter

5 comments:

QuotingCarol said...

Totally adorable!

Sandy said...

Sweater is adorable. How nice you make something for your friends tree. I loved mulled wine and in fact have some I purchased as a German Feast here...gees it was a while ago and it got tucked away. I wonder if it's still good?

nauget bluff said...

Very cute...I'd love to see a pic of your tree...although I seem to give more away, rather than keep for my tree.

The Martini Knitter said...

That is so true!!! I am always doing that!

The Martini Knitter said...

Sandy! Just open it and give it the smell test. How bad could it be???? It's alcohol!