Monday, October 29, 2012

I Made Pumpkin Soup!


I have always wanted to make homemade pumpkin soup.  While living in Holland, every Fall I would look at the pumpkins in Albert Heijn and just stare at them willing them to teach me how to cook a pumpkin.  As an American, the only way I knew how to buy anything calling for pumpkin was to go and buy the Libby’s pumpkin puree. It was very hard my first 4 years of living abroad to find Libby’s pumpkin puree but with American online grocery stores popping up on the Internet and Globus here in Basel carrying pumpkin puree I have been able to make pumpkin pie in the American way … Libby’s Libby’s Libby’s on the label, label, label.  Sorry I probably just dated myself by reciting the old Libby’s TV commercial.

It all started by Gin saying that her friends were surprised to hear that she has never had pumpkin soup.  I said, “You haven’t? It’s the best. That’s it! Today I am going to make pumpkin soup.”  This was Saturday and so I checked my huge cookbook library and, surprisingly, I do not have a recipe at all for homemade pumpkin soup.  So I went to “the Vortex (aka my computer) and did a search for pumpkin soup.  I am pleased to say that “Chuck” did me proud.

“Chuck” is the name we give to any William Sonoma recipe we make, because Chuck William is the guy who originally founded William Sonoma, the cooking store in America.  The Shaker and I are known for saying to each other, “Go and check out what Chuck has.” “If it’s Chuck’s, you know it’s going to be good” and so forth.

So here’s the recipe from “Chuck” that I used and I bought “sugar baby pumpkins” to make the soup.





I did make a slight change to Chuck’s recipe; instead of putting the creamed apple cider puree on the top of the soup, I just added it all to the soup because Vermouth likes her soup with cream.  Gin liked it so much too, that she took a lunch portion of it to school today.


  
Cheers!
The Martini Knitter

No comments: