Thursday, September 20, 2012

Honestly, I Am NOT Throwing Olive Under The Bus



I love Olive because last week she calls up and says to me, “Did I just see that you casted on another project???”  Now for the reader who doesn’t know Olive this is how we banter back and forth.  If someone was to meet her, she would say that everything I start I do finish … eventually.  I never really leave a project hanging around for too long.  I heard a tip recently to keep the project in view at all times.  It works for me because eventually it will drive me nuts to finish it!  Here’s the secret about Olive, she can see all my works in progress because they are right here on my blog.  Scroll down towards the bottom and you will see “On My Needles.”  Yup, it’s all there for the world to see … literally! 

Ok so looking at “On My Needles” right now, and for the sake of Olive looking at my projects, “The America the Beautiful” socks and “The Luck of the Irish” socks are for driving in the car or while I am on the tram.  And I have been knitting other projects while on the tram lately - that's why there hasn't been any progress.

But you gotta love Olive because she is the one person who can make me throw all other projects out the window just to start one with her.  Oh yes!  She has sucked me into another project and that I was more than willing to do. She and I and few members of the Twisted Knitters group have signed up for Claudia’s Hand Painted Yarns Sock Club at Yarn Mountain.  And I am not complaining in the least because I got free shipping from Yarn Mountain.  Now I am not sure if this was the way it was suppose to be, but hey, if someone has “free world wide shipping” I am you shopper!  The Yarn Mountain selects a color for you and you get a pattern to go with that sock yarn.  We all got different colors. I got “Mangled Tangled” and the pattern for September is “Leyburn Socks” by MintyFresh.





I did have trouble with the starting of the toe.  I like using the magic loop method on double pointed needles for starting my toe up socks.  So thanks, Olive, I have learned, yet, another technique – the short-row toe.

When I am knitting socks and I need a gauge that requires 8/9 stitches to the inch on fingering weight yarn, I know instantly before starting the project that I will need a size US 0/2 mm DPN’s.  And, of course the 3 sets of US 0/2 mm DPN’s that I own are all in use at the moment.  However, I am not one to take my project off the needles and slip this existing project on a stitch holder.  Oh no, I will just go out and get another set of DPN’s.  Come on! It’s not like I am not going to use them again and I love knitting socks … so there … that’s my justification.  And yet it gets better … because the part above where I mentioned “free world wide shipping” the Addi needle site has exactly that!  And I am glad I just placed an order with them because last Friday Olive called me from her LYS saying this:  “What color do you like in the Quince & Co.’s “tern” to make Ann Budd’s Abbey Road socks?”  ... I chose yellow and purple ...

Cheers!
The Martini Knitter

No comments: