Friday, July 27, 2012

The Top 6 Things I Accomplished


Here are the top 6 things that I accomplished this week:

Number 1:

When I spoke to Olive last weekend she said that she was going to make her own olive oil infusion oils.  She found a recipe where you take the olive oil and add the herb of choice, place them into a bottle and leave in a sunny place for one month; and daily you must shake the bottle. 

I just ran out of lemon infused olive oil – I use this make homemade croutons and to stir fry chicken for salads. I found some here in a small bottle (100 ml/3.38 oz) that cost 14 CHF and then I remembered what Olive said, and off to the Internet I went.  Here’s the link I used for my lemon infused olive oil. I used this same concept of heating the olive oil and then adding, basil, thyme and rosemary each separately to their respective bottles.  I chose these herbs as they are ones that growing very nicely on my balcony.  Also, I chose to heat the oil as I only get morning (direct) sunlight in our apartment. 

From left to right: Thyme, Lemon, Rosemary and Basil

Which brings me to Number 2:

We got our new apartment keys!  Though we can’t move anything over until the end of next week, as the apartment will be getting freshly painted.  But The Shaker took measurements and we started to plot out where things will go i.e., what my sewing room will look like.  I need some new bookshelves to go into the sewing room and I just can’t wait to go to Ikea this coming week. 

Number 3:

I baked!  In some ways I feel like I haven’t baked in months.  About 2 years ago Olive was telling me about this great brownie booked called the Fat Witch Brownies book by Patricia Helding. Here are the recipes I have tried so far:


Fat Witch Brownie (a family favorite); Cocoa Brownies, Cakey Brownies, Blondies, Congo Brownies, Intense Chocolate Brownies (these last 2 both being The Shaker’s favorite), Caramel Witches and Frozen Cream Cheese Brownies (Gin’s favorite).  And last weekend I made the Berry Good Bars which are really good with vanilla ice cream.  And this weekend I am making No-Bake S’More Fun Brownies no other reason than I found small marshmallows here (doing happy dance).  

I also made Blueberry Muffins this week because The Shaker bought 2 large packages of blueberries to make the Berry Good Brownies – I only needed 1 package.  I secretly think he did this on purpose to get muffins out of me as well.  Here’s the recipe I use and I swear they turn out perfect every time!

Number 4:

I got to knit!  The Heliotropic Pullover is worked from the top down and I am finally passed the sleeve part and onto the body.  I finished the back part of the Lace Hem Top and have completed the lace work on the front.  And yesterday I finished the back part of Provence.  Today my plan is do the lace work on the front lace work and to finish my gauge swatch for my Team Apathy Socks (Ravellenic Games 2012).  The Opening Ceremonies for the London 2012 Olympics start locally for me tonight at 10:00 – if I get to cast on, I think this will be a miracle. 

Heliotropic Pullover
Lace Hem Top
Provence
Number 5:

I changed my password on my Gmail account, which almost had the resulting effect of me “chucking” my Blackberry phone out of the 2nd floor balcony!  However, better heads prevailed plus this is how Olive and I communicate!  So instead I spent 2 hours running around the Internet – when I could have been knitting – looking how to resolve this issue.  Finally, I got so frustrated that I had a very large glass of white wine and called The Shaker to ask for help!  Of course after his arrival home and in less than 45 minutes my phone was again receiving my Gmail messages. (Note from The Shaker:  It all came down to the 2nd Verification.  He used this link.)

Number 6 (and certainly not least):

I met up with friends to walk!  It was really hot yesterday but beautiful where we met up to walk.  Sadly I forgot my pedometer gadget so I have no idea how far we walked but it was over an hour. 

Cheers!
The Martini Knitter

No comments: