Monday, July 23, 2012

Honest Knitting


Time to be a bit honest … how’s that for a Monday morning blog posting???  True confession, -- head hanging -- I have a bit of a gut.  I have never been one to make anything a size smaller in the hope that I will fit into it.  I have always been honest when doing my measurements – not happy mind you, but honest.  I am just having one of those days where I am re-thinking everything in my knitting queue.

Which brings me to my Ravelry queue.  I have 2 projects in this queue that I thought I was going to have to re-think.  But as luck would have it, I don’t’ have to!  Now both of these sweaters I have purchased the yarn for as well.  And, trust me, when I have to re-think a pattern that I purchased yarn for, I can spend days just looking around Ravelry for ways to use the yarn that has been purchased. 

So the first one is “Adelaide Yoke Pullover” by Kate Gagnon Osborn, which is published in Vintage Modern Knits.  Now I originally purchased the yarn (Cascade 220 Heather yarn) for the sweater and all that before really learning/understanding what is meant by “negative ease” and “positive ease.”  Simply put, “negative ease” is going to be a more fitted garment without a lot of give and then “positive ease” is the opposite, much more freedom in the garment.  But with the magic of Ravelry and the project page for this pattern, I have learned that this sweater can be made into a beautiful cardigan.  Voilà! Problem solved for this knitter – no more trouble with negative ease.

Another project that has been in my queue for a year now and the yarn (Berroco Ultra Alpaca - forest green) as well in my stash is from Custom Knits by Wendy Bernard called “Ingenue.”  I have left this in my queue for long that in my mind’s eye it became smaller around the waistline with no ease at all.  But now, looking at the pattern again, there is movement around the mid-section.  So I will be definitely casting this on after my “blessed move” because I think this will be the perfect fall sweater for me when the weather turns nippy. 

But before taking on these projects, I am going to sit down this week and finally attend my on-line class from Craftsy called “Fit Your Knits” with Stefanie Japel.  I signed up for this class 2 weeks ago and I have not been to “class” yet; because … the class is 4 to 5 hours in total.  I have to say 2 things along these lines, 1) I am constantly amazed that I have a university degree and ... 2) will wine be served during class???

Cheers!
The Martini Knitter

No comments: