Friday, June 8, 2012

Tin of the Week


Olive gave me the idea for “Tin of the Week.”  I do like tiny little storage containers to keep my stitch markers, darning needles, stitch ring markers etc. organized and I like them to have bit of  flair on them.

To start this off right, I thought I would share my first "Tin of the Week" photo taken in a tourist shop.  A few weeks ago, I wrote about dropping a watering can and having it land an “older” man’s foot and the end result me being “reduced to a pile of ash” by his stare.  Well, this is along the same lines.  First of all you would think I would have learned my lesson by now after living in Europe for the past 8 years but, alas, no …

The Shaker had the brilliant idea to go to Colmar, France; which is about 40 minutes by car from Basel while Olive was visiting.  It’s a popular tourist spot in the Alsace region because of the beautiful canals.  And like most tourist spots, there are tourist shops, which happened to be open on a Sunday.  Now don’t ask how I missed this, but at one tourist shop and I stress the words “tourist shop” there was a huge sign that displayed the “no photos” sign.  Like I said, I missed it.  Now for an art gallery, I get it, but for a tourist shop …

You can see where this is going, right?  I pop out my Blackberry phone, open up the camera feature and proceed to take a picture.  I have been to France many times - including Paris - and for some reason I have managed to avoid being yelled at in French and in France.  Not this day - the shopkeeper yelled at me.  I apologized profusely, and naturally, in English.  But when I turned around from her I heard her still saying something muffled and under breath at me.; something being said about me being American and such. So I turned around, looked her straight in the eye and said, “Hey! I said I was sorry.” and walked out of the store to where - you got it! - Olive and The Shaker howling with laughter.

Here’s the picture:



Lesson learned read the signs before entering any shop – especially in France.

Cheers!
The Martini Knitter

No comments: