Friday, May 4, 2012

Those Nasty Cuticles!


In my daily life I have to do things like the cooking, the ironing and the washing – you all ready know how I don’t share the washing.  But while these jobs must be done, I listen to my iPod and the work seems to go by so much faster.  I am a huge audio listener and have been ever since joining Audible in 2006.  I usually listen to mystery/thrillers but the members at Audible.com kept recommending Life by Keith Richards read by Johnny Depp and Joe Hurley.  It is fantastic if you are a fan of the Rolling Stones.  But I also enjoy knitting podcasts.  I usually listen to podcasts between finishing one book and starting another or in the mornings when the house is quiet   This week I caught up on some Knit Pick podcasts and just discovered a new one that I really like called Never Not Knitting by Alana Dakos.

I am now up to “Episode 179: Learning the Quirks of Lace” on the Knit Picks podcast where Kelley Petkun gave a great hand tip.  She said that her cuticles kept catching on the silk yarn/ribbon and were causing her problems. She said that she had heard a trick to put some olive oil and sugar onto her hands and scrub, scrub, scrub.  I looked down at my hands, and saw some straggly bits around my cuticles and thought, why not?  My hands feel amazing!  I just poured a little olive oil into the palm of my hand, added some sugar and scrubbed.  It felt a little thick and greasy at first but after rinsing my hands in warm water, my hands felt really nice.

Cheers!
The Martini Knitter

PS – please feel free to recommend other podcasts that you like – knitting or otherwise.

No comments: