Tuesday, April 10, 2012

And The Panic Sets In ...

We have been in new (temporary) home for a week now, and so far so good … until Saturday night.  I always have a pair of socks casted on so that if I want to do something else for a while, I have a pair of socks to work on.  Olive gave me the suggestion on one of her travels to see me to photocopy the pattern that you are working on; she said “That way you don’t have to lug around the book with you.”  Makes sense - but only if you have access to the book immediately and not in 4 months. 

Now, I must have checked, rechecked and tripled checked my required list of project books for the first phase in the move.  I kept doing this because every time there was an appointment to see our home, I would clean up my sewing room, stashed things away in secret hiding places and then once it was safe to return home, pull it all out again.  I was nervous about forgetting something.  I knew that if I forgot a set of knitting needles that could be easily replace.  But a book? … Written in English? 

As I said a few months back, I printed off my queue list from Ravelry and tripled check it.  But I did forget something … I made the list of projects that I would start while in the first phase of the move but not the list of already-in-progress projects.  So, I pull out the socks that I am working on for Vermouth - who, by the way, has kindly pointed out that everyone have a pair of hand-knitted socks, but her.  They are “Toe-Up Socks” by Leah Mitchell from the book More Last Minute Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson. 

And I get to the instructions that say, “Turn Heel” and the instructions say this:  “Note: Heel is shaped using Short Rows (see page 132).”  It’s 11:00 at night and the panic sets in.  I walked calmly to my stack of knitting books to see if I brought that book, knowing full well that I didn’t.  And all the while, The Shaker is asking, “What you are you doing?”  But I think, maybe, just maybe …  But, alas, no More Last Minute Knitted Gifts!

Now I really have The Shaker’s attention, because now I am opening up my laptop and typing a help/panic email to Olive and the ladies from Twisted Knitters knitting group.  It is 11:00 my time, 5:00 their time, asking if anyone owns this book and could they scan the page or at least tell what is written on page 132.  I know that I am taking a chance with it being Easter weekend and these women are probably not knitting or checking their emails.  But they did check their emails!  I woke up to everyone saying ever so nicely - “Sorry, I don’t’ own the book.” 

But I didn’t give up.  Since it was morning and I dusted away the panic knitting dreams from my mind, I read further into the instructions and realized that page 132 is probably just explaining what “Short Rows” are.  Lucky for me, I know what these are.  But in Short Rows you have to wrap and turn stitches.  So I read further on in the instructions and Row 1 says this:  “Row 1 (RS) Working only Needles 2 and 3, Needle 2: Knit; Needle 3: K7, yo, k1, wrp-t.”  And here is where my problem truly lies: “wrp-t.”  What does wrp-t mean?  I have seen “wrap and turn” abbreviated to “w&t” but not “wrp-t.” 

So now I am checking the Internet for help.  I checked Amazon’s site because you can “look inside” some of their books.  And, yup, you guessed it - the page I want, is not in the “look inside” part.  They have page 131 but not page 132!  Then I googled “wrp-t knitting abbreviation” and “wrap and turn” pops up in the search engine. 

I did remember to bring several sock books so I looked at Wendy D. Johnson’s Socks from the Toe Up about short row heels. And she gave me the idea to just work the stitches as “wrap and turns” what’s the worst that could happen?  I might have to rip it out.  Like ripping out scares me …
I looked at other people's project photos on Ravelry and
I think my heels looks like theirs


Cheers!
The Martini Knitter

No comments: