Friday, March 9, 2012

Not One, but Two Sweaters

One thing I have noticed when I am introduced to a new Dutch person, is that the question of “what do you do?” meaning this question: “what do you do for work?” is not the question at all.  The question of “what do you do, actually means “what do you do for fun or what do you do in your free time?”  Here's my observation, the Dutch work, just like everyone else in the world, because they need to pay their bills. But their job doesn’t define them as a person; what they do in their free time is what truly defines them as a person. 

So when I first arrived here my answer was, “I make an American Patchwork blankets. I am a quilter.”  The interest that this answer sparks is amazing.  The lists of questions that are brought forth to me are always interesting and some times surprising.  And sometimes I get this, “Hey Hans get over here, this woman makes quilts!”   Like I am some kind of novelty – but in a good way.  I explain to them about how much time it takes to complete a project, my sewing room and my “stash.”  And finally, that I enjoy making “traditional” ones compared to more modern types of quilts. 

This then naturally segues into how I learned to knit. I am not sure if I would call myself a “fiber artist,” as I am not sure I really understand of the meaning of this.  I do not dye my own quilting fabric, therefore, I do not dye my own yarn either. I get way too uptight about the color and distribution of color.  And to answer any questions about learning to spin my own yarn … just look at the answer again about dying fabric/yarn and that would apply to spinning as well.

I have to say this, I have been working very hard during the day until about 3:00ish with regards to this move.  But this is not my only priority.  I need to knit.  It’s my sanity.  If I am only doing the general things in my house and not creating, I become a little cranky … ok, ok, very cranky.  I am not asking for mounds of time, just a little, 1-hour minimum but more is always welcomed!

This is the pattern worked around the ribs
From where we live now to where we are moving is about a 6-hour car ride.  I started “Corduroy” from A Fine Fleece by Lisa Lloyd.  It’s a nice simple project for a long car ride.  Round and round we go!  The sweater is worked from the bottom up and I was hoping to be done with the “body part” by the time we came back.  No such luck.  So I have been working on it during the evenings while watching TV.  The photos show currently how far I am.


This is the front

During the daylight hours, I have started “Flugan” by Cirilia Rose.  On the front of the cardigan it has a nice pattern worked over 21 stitches on each side. The pattern calls for a bulky weight yarn, so I knew that it should knit up quicker.  I have noticed in myself over the past few months that I want a little more challenge from my knitting.  I had bought the yarn, “Alfa” by Sandnes Garn over a year ago for another pattern; since then I have changed my mind.  Now I am using this yarn on “Flugan.”  But this pattern is worked all in flat pieces and then seamed together at the end.  It has raglan sleeves so again I don’t understand why it’s not worked as one piece. (FYI – I have made some notes about this on my project page on Ravelry).  Of course, before starting this, I had to call Olive …

This is my right front
This is my left front

Cheers!
The Martini Knitter

No comments: