Friday, March 23, 2012

Joining a New Ball

I learned something new this week - I learned how to join a new ball of yarn.  Crazy, right?  I do like the “spit-splicing method” of joining one old ball of yarn to another new ball of yarn - no weaving in of ends.  And I am sorry to say that I don’t dip my yarn into my martini and splice together rather I stick them both into my mouth as discretely as possible and rub together.  Furthermore, I googled “spit-splice method in knitting” to make sure I was getting the term right and up popped someone saying don’t spit on your yarn.  FYI- I block my garments using a mild laundry detergent so technically my spit is washed away.

This was my current method of joining a new ball of yarn that I can’t spit on: 

I take the 6-inch tail from the “old yarn,” and a 6-inch tail from the “new yarn,” put them together and knit these 2 pieces of yarn as one.  Then I drop the “old yarn” and continue knitting with the “new yarn.”  When I am finished with the garment, I weave in the ends. 

I thought my stitches look nice on the outside and I, like every knitter, try not to twist the yarns. But this week, Knitting Daily’s Kathleen Cubley sent out an email to their subscribers about Knitting Bummer: Joining New Yarn.  The tip is actually from The Knitter’s Companion by Vicki Square and it works!  It looks so nice. 

Also this week, I finished my Flugan sweater.  I am very pleased with the outcome!



Cheers!
The Martini Knitter

1 comment:

QuotingCarol said...

Hi Sarah!
Just wanted to add to your spit-splicing comment. Weavers use it all the time. It only works with wool. And, you can use water. When you spit-splice you are "felting" the ends together. The spit (water) friction/twisting causes the fiber cuticles to felt and stick together. You don't have to worry about spit washing out, because it's not acting like glue, but a catalyst to irritate the cuticles. It is a handy trick.
On another note, have you seen the latest Harlan Coben?
Carol