Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A Bombay Sapphire Martini, please!


I was going to call this segment “Terms and Conditions” because when The Shaker told me that we had the opportunity to live abroad I came up with my own “terms and conditions.”  But honestly, the decision was made over a martini … are you surprised?

Our family was given tickets to see the ice hockey team, the Carolina Hurricanes.  I picked the girls up from school (they were 7 and 9 years old at the time) and drove them to The Shaker’s office.  We were told that he was in a meeting with one of “the big guys” and would be done shortly.  

From here we went to The Texas Steakhouse for a quick meal.  When the waitress, who was a little over 18 years old, asked us what we wanted to drink, I asked for a glass of Merlot.  The Shaker, leaned over to me and said, “Umm, you might want something a little more stronger than that.”  I immediately turned to the this young lady and said, “I would like to change that to a Bombay Sapphire martini with 2 olives, please.”  I will never forget how by asking for a simple martini could frightened this poor girl have half way to her death. Not to mention the shock on Gin and Vermouth’s little faces.  I remember seeing the look on Gin’s face, “Mommy doesn’t have martinis until after we go to bed; it’s not my bed time!”  Immediately after the waitress’* departure, I turned to my husband and said, “For the love of God and all that is holy, please tell me you have a job!” (His company was currently “reorganizing”).  This was his response: “Yes, but not in this country.” 

Already, The Shaker had been traveling about once a month back and forth to Amsterdam.  So I said, “Are we moving to Holland???  Now, I should say this, it took me about 4 hours to agree to move from the San Francisco Bay Area to Raleigh, North Carolina.  I really don’t know what my problem was over that move, because I really like the Raleigh-Durham area.  I met Olive there! Need I say more?

But I digress … I made this decision to move to Holland in under 30 seconds and without my martini … it arrived soon after.

The next morning The Shaker went to work and met with the man who was in his office the day before.  They had a routine meeting and afterwards The Shaker said he wanted to discuss his decision.  The boss, who is Dutch, was a little startled by The Shaker telling him of his decision to move to Holland so quickly.  The Shaker said this about me to him, “When Sarah makes a decision and it’s yes, you go with it!  You don’t wait for explanations.”  And this statement is still true to this day.

This is us on Family Hockey Day
 2009 at the girls' hockey club.
We were part of a team was called
"Team Gin and Tonic."
We came in 2nd to last.
This was March 2004 and the terms of The Shaker’s contract was 3- 5 years and the plans were to return to the United States after this.  I thought, at the time, you have a contract and I want one too.  I asked to have a beach house at the Outer Banks and to travel to Barcelona, Spain.  Officially, we have been here in The Netherlands for 7-1/2 years. We arrived in July 2004 on the morning of The Shaker’s birthday.  I do not have a beach house (yet) and as we have seen many wonderful places here in Europe, we still have not been to Barcelona.  Gin is demanding that this happen soon – very soon! 




Cheers!
The Martini Knitter

*A note to that young waitress, if you are reading this, you brought me the perfect martini. I sincerely hoped I said thank you

No comments: