Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Why?


Sometimes I just like to know why I like something.  I know, crazy, right? For instance, what makes that certain wool so special? What is in it that makes me so happy? Another reason for having to know why is because I live 6 to 9 hours ahead of my knitting friends! So when I have a question regarding yarn or a pattern, I have to wait until they get up and have had their coffee before I “bombard” them with my questions.




For over 10 days now, it has not been above about -3C here.  This has been the coldest winter to date … for me.  There is some good news in all of this cold weather:  this may be the year for the “Elfstedentocht” – the 11-city tour.  It takes place, about 2-1/2 hours from where I live, in the North of part of the Netherlands. 

And … I have been living in my new sweater, Flurry.  Since I have washed it (I used Eucalan), the fibers have softened up and it has a bit of a drape to it.  The yarn, Rowan Scottish Tweed lost a bit of its crunchiness from when I was knitting with it until I blocked it.  So I wanted to know why does some wool yarn have crunch and why does some wools don’t. 




Enter The Knitter’s Book of Wool by Clara Parkes (Amazon.com).  I have been reading about, “scales” that are found on a wool fiber; “Down-type breeds” of sheep; crimp, loft and elasticity; and microns – the universal measurement for fiber fineness.  Will this help me in my selection of yarn for my next project?  Maybe, but I have no idea.  I just reading why the fiber that I have chosen to work with is acting the way that it is.




Cheers!
The Martini Knitter

1 comment:

Nanatucket knitter said...

Okay, you may be over thinking the wool thing! With me it is all about the feel and the smell - yup - the smell. Other than someone grinding coffee, there is just about no other smell that is makes me happier than that of of the lanolin in unprocessed organic wool straight from the sheep with the flecks and pieces that remain after it has been cleaned and carded. Oh, one other smell that I love - that of a baby!! :) Wool with you!!