Monday, January 30, 2012

Flurry and Snow

I am happy to tell you that I finished the Flurry sweater!  And just at the right time.  This winter has not been like the usual winters that we have grown accustomed to living here.  The average temperature this winter, has probably been around 7C (strictly a guess).  We did have a few days where the weather for the high was 2C.  But not this week, I awoke to about 5 cm (2 inches) of snow! 



Here’s something that you should know about me:  I grew up about 45 minutes east of San Francisco.  I got my driver’s license in California.  I spent my first few years of college in the Sierra Nevada’s where I did not have a car; therefore I did not drive in snow.  At the start of my 30’s, we moved near Raleigh, North Carolina where it snows once a year and usually shuts everything down; again, no reason to drive in snow.  Technically, I never learned how to drive in snow.  I still don’t know how to drive in snow.  Ok, that’s not a complete fair statement.  I can drive in snow; I drive really slowly.  But I choose not to drive in the snow.  Anyway, it doesn’t really matter; I live about 200 meters from a bus stop and a train station.  If I take the bus, it drops me off almost in front of the grocery store (Albert Heijn) and I can take the train anywhere.  So today I will wait to see if the snow melts before deciding car or bus to go to the grocery store.

But like I said at the start, I finished this really warm wool sweater and just in time as the weather will be the high of 0C (32F) all week.  I had some problems in the decreasing.  If I did what the pattern said, the “vine pattern” would have met in the center of the neck opening because you decrease the center stitches as well as the sleeves.  This is when I learned the importance of “row gauge.”  Because I am using a different yarn then what the pattern originally called for, my “stitch gauge” (the horizontal stitches) is working out fine; but the “row gauge” stitches (the vertical stitches) are thicker and longer.  I will have to look into this further as I did learn the importance of row gauge.  But, as we say in our house, “I have The Luck of Vermouth*.”  Meaning, I seriously got lucky with outcome of the sweater. 

So I stopped decreasing in the center when the stiches in the middle (between the 2 vine patterns) reached 10 stitches.  Then I continued only decreasing in the sleeves until those stitches joined up.  Then I started decreasing every other row the stiches outside of the sleeves until the neck opening reached 92 stiches (20 inches for neck opening). 

I made some more (extensive) notes on my project page of Ravelry.  My project is called Flurry.  The last reason why I got lucky with my yarn was because the Flurry pattern is a simple sweater design with a pattern on the sides.  If this sweater design had cables and/or fancier stitches, it would have never worked out.


This is Olive's Flurry


* The Luck of Vermouth:  Whenever Vermouth seems to get herself in “a jam,” and The Shaker and I are explaining the importance of her actions and the resulting consequences, she always seems to get out of it by shear dumb luck! –  Which drives us mad!  


Cheers!I
The Martini Knitter

2 comments:

Knitter Di said...

Love those sweaters girls -- they look great! And can't wait to learn more about the "agony of decrease" on Ravelry.

Enjoy the snow in your nice warm beautiful Flurry!

Nanatucket knitter said...

Your sweater looks great and perfect weather for your "all wool"
sweater!