Thursday, October 6, 2011

The All-American Hoodie

So on Tuesday, you heard about “my moan” of the 3 times a sweater.  The martini’s I consumed during that sweater … That sweater should have put the ka-boosh on ever making a sweater again! But it didn’t.  I just learned that I didn’t want to use “superwash” wool again.  Remember, I am all about the process of knitting.

So I have tried my hand at another sweater, the All American Hoodie in the book called “Knitting Green” by Ann Budd.  The pattern is by Veronik Avery and calls for 2 strands of St-Denis Nordique knitted together to make the sweater.  I used a single strand of Araucania Azapa (03% alpaca, 45% merino, 15% silk and 10% Donegal).  I had no problem with the pattern.  But the way that knitting patterns are written can be a bit confusing.  So I have found that “translating” into the way that read and process information to be very helpful. 

For instance, on page 52:  “DEC RND: *Ssk, knit 2 sts before m, k2tog, slip marker (sl m) ; rep from * once more -4 sts dec’d; 2 sts each from front and back.” So I used a “sticky note” – which by the way is, my favorite knitting tool – and simply wrote:

at the start of the round, you ssk,
then knit on to 2 sts before the m (marker), k2tog
slip marker, then ssk
and right before the start of the round, 2 sts before the m k2tog
(4 sts dec)

I did hit one snag at the very end and, of course, after blocking!  The sleeves were a little longer than I like, by about 2 inches.  The sleeves are knitted in the round and you start casting on at the cuff and bind off at the top of the sleeve.  Which made it a problem because I just couldn’t unravel it.  The bind off edge was at the top of the sleeve.  Also, it was the first time I seamed a sleeve and if you can believe this … that went well and attached beautifully! But there was no way I was going to “unattach” the sleeve and re-knit it. 

So, I didn’t panic – ok not too badly…. I went to the internet and did a search.  I did try YouTube first hoping for a visual aid. But no luck.   It took a little longer “googling” it but finally found my answer here from the TECHknitter out of Wisconsin, USA:


This lady is wonderful!  Her explanations and instructions are brilliant!

But I just couldn’t cut the sweater!  I heard people on Kelley Petkun’s podcast say “just cut it.”  But I just couldn’t.  So I spent about an hour with some scrap yarn, casted on some stitches and knitted in the round for about 3 inches.  Then I bound off the stitches and then I made my cut …. And it worked!  Just like this lady in Wisconsin said it would!  So I went to back to my All American Hoodie and made my cut!  The sleeves are now the right length. 




Cheers!
The Martini Knitter




2 comments:

Deirdre said...

Cool, Martini Knitter! I'm learning from the process and I can only knit scarves. Nice blog, BTW!

SwimmerGirl said...

Wow - very nice. I found a hoodie pattern I might try ... I'll let you know.