Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Hats!


I am typing this as my new refrigerator is being delivered.  Here’s a bit of Dutch culture for you: when you have work done on your home or deliveries made, it is polite Dutch culture to provide coffee or tea for the workers.  It doesn’t make me feel put out in the slightest way.  Because, let’s face it, they are speaking English.  Can I speak Dutch? Yup!  Not that well, but I can make myself understood.

Back to hats … they are fast!  And with changing of seasons, they are easy to whip up while watching nightly TV on the couch.  Our weather here is starting become colder BUT the sun is shining!! The daytime temperature has been around 12 to 14 C.  So we are just on the cusp of hat and glove weather.

Last year, I bought hat kits from Morehouse Farm to make for my brother and his boys.  They really like skiing and I thought that these hats would look nice on them.  My brother was given the Snowboarder hat in blue and the boys were given the Twin Stripes in blue and white stripes.

Since making them, I have learned a lot about changing colors and creating “jogless stripes. Here are two links that should help you: Knitting Tips by Judy has this video on changing colors.  I love the way she speaks slowly so that you understand what she is doing with her hands.  And as for “jogless” stripes I like Meg Swanson’s method which is on Judy Gibson’s Socknitters.com website.

I have tried many methods for jogless stripes.  I have tried Eunny Jang’s method, which I used on my sister’s son hat.  I was pleased with the result, because … let’s face it … if I wasn’t, I wouldn’t have given it as a gift! 



Oh! I added the hat decoration on top from this book:  





I used Anny Blatt’s Merino, DK, 8 ply
Rolled-Edge Hat by Kristin Spurkland

But I discovered a new pattern recently from my buddy, Olive (the woman that taught me to knit wanted a name too!).  Jared Flood’s Turn a Square hat!  I love love love this hat!  I made it for The Shaker while he was gone. (Also, Jared Flood has a blog.)

So on Jared’s hat, I did take out a little out in the body of the hat above the ribbing, before you start the shaping.  The yarn I used, of course, is now discontinued.  But it was Lana Grossa’s “Lord” worsted weight yarn.  It is soft and looses a bit of elasticity once it blocked – not a lot, like “the 3 times a sweater”, but just a bit.

What drew me to this pattern was the square pattern that just naturally happens on the top of the hat.  And with the pattern, it came with Judy’s link from Meg Swanson.  Perfect!


 The Shaker went to work before the photo opt!  
So this Vermouth modeling the hat!

This is what I like about knitting:  sometimes the rules just don’t apply! You must find what works for you.

Cheers!
The Martini Knitter

No comments: